Sunday, March 6, 2016

Haiti 2016: Alison's first day

Kirby, Mike, Gary and I all arrived at the Louisville Airport early Friday morning, around 4 a.m. That was my first airplane ride ever and I couldn't stop looking out the window, the houses were so small and then we were literally flying over a cloud. I was so excited for this trip and couldn't wait to get to Haiti. I had never really traveled before, especially not out of the United States, but I knew God wanted me to do this. We arrived in Miami and met up with Lisa and got on the next plane to Port-Au-Prince. Haiti is so beautiful even though there is a lot of poverty. We got on a charter plane and that was a really cool experience too. I have to say the driving in Haiti is my kind of driving:) There isn't really any rules, no staying on the right side, people are constantly honking, and they'll do whatever, including driving on sidewalks, to get where they need to. The people in Haiti don't really get road rage, they just get around them. We arrived at the house and met some of the workers for Tek4Kids. They are all native Haitians and are really nice and easy to talk to. Today, we worked at the school and worked on tables, chalkboards, and boards. It was a lot of hard work, but I knew we were helping the school and the people that go there. The other half of our group arrived around 4:30 today and now we will really be starting the missionary work together. One thing I have to say about Haiti, it is truly an amazing thing that you really need to see. It is hard to explain all the things I have seen so far in a few words and it's only been about 2 days into the trip. I can't wait to see what else this trip teaches me.

No comments:

Post a Comment